• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Planet's population exceeds 6.5 billion - is it more than we can sustain?

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default Planet's population exceeds 6.5 billion - is it more than we can sustain?

I read an article just days ago and unfortunately can't locate it again, but the basics were:

The population of our planet now exceeds 6.5 billion and is rapidly shooting up toward 7 billion.

Experts have declared that we have now gone beyond the levels of sustainability. We have reached a bottleneck in history; our resources are being stretched to their limits and all the evidence points to continued exponential population explosion.

What will happen? What can we do about it? When is enough enough? Why do we keep reproducing like this?

Personally I have an affinity with the Gaia theory and feel that it's no coinicidence there are a rising level of natural disasters occurring. If you're head becomes filled with lice, eventually you're going to start scratching.

Tongue in cheek though it sounds, the only advice I can offer with regards to this situation today is:

Heterosexual people: STOP HAVING SEX!!! OR START USING CONDOMS, for goodness sake!!

And STOP OPPRESSING GAY PEOPLE. The world clearly needs MANY MORE gay people!!!
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

The world's ever fast growing population is something I've always had a real problem with for years ... right now, I am not going to get into it ... 1. I need to wake up more and 2. this subject gets me quickly peeved, so I'll come back when I know I can stay cool.
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

I wrote a poem approximately 15 years ago (?) entitled "Lemmings". It refferred to this very topic through the comparison of Humans and Lemmings sharing a simalar fate should we continue down this path.
      And considering when I wrote it and how nothing has changed since...
      Does everyone have their bathing suits out? It appears that most of us are going for a swim.

Growth Through Adversity

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      Personally I have an affinity with the Gaia theory and feel that it's no coinicidence there are a rising level of natural disasters occurring. If you're head becomes filled with lice, eventually you're going to start scratching.
      I have heard of this theory; there may be some truth to it: as our population continues to increase we are changing our environment through release of much more carbon gases etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      And STOP OPPRESSING GAY PEOPLE. The world clearly needs MANY MORE gay people!!! [/B][/SIZE]
      People usually don't turn gay.

However, I once read about a theory that posited the idea that the more overcrowded an area was the more chances of mothers were of having homosexual children; the reason given was that the overcrowding effected mothers' chemistry to the infant. This may or not have any validity.

Nathan

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I think for the most part...having many children gives you some what an upper hand. If you have many children, one is bound to be successfull. Not saying thats what everyone should do. My 17 year old neice already started....and I don't see the pattern breaking no time soon. I have several people (teenagers) about to pop one out at work. I think it is more like instinct...a survival instinct. I think even if there were more gays...especially woman gays....they will still have children....again, just instinct. ( I know many gay woman who have had children with a man)
      Last edited by SoulChild; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: removed two sentences

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

From my point of view its worthless to stress yourself about what is....
      From my view above at 35000 feet ....

"the earth is full of life every square inch
      From the depths of the ocean to the galaxies above"...

what we should be doin is putting our energies into is ourself....
      and try to get more people into realizing there purpose here....

forgive the parts of the mind that are causing you stress by seeing these things ...

physical things cause "emotional upset" and we have to be strong enough to know that secretly we are weak and lowly in our thinking ....
      the spirit that lies within it all...is one and universal ....

love them all...
      they are all creations of GOD....
      acceptance is a must ......

in loves light..
      V
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

Exclamation

Fact; This planet will not support such disproportionate numbers.
      And you can rest assured that there will come a time when the Universe will intervien, reducing the number of humans and return balance to this ecosphere.
      It's simply a matter of time.
      And whether or not you like it or even believe me, that time is growing near.
      We Are Responsible.
      Sleep on that thought.
      Last edited by Lion Spirit Walker; October 3rd, 2009 at 03:40 AM.

Growth Through Adversity

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

Lightbulb p.s.,

These wheels have already been set into motion. And there is nothing any of you, or anyone else can do to stop what is coming.

Growth Through Adversity

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I know... what your talking about...

The mystical universe will balance itself in time...
      its up to us to be the change NOW...

Us being the change is all that matters...
      you can't speak for the 2 mins of pleasure that brings us life ...
      "which is a miracle" ...remember people are lowly and weakminded

Becoming angry of what you see is the total wrong mind set ...
      THE EGO WILL MAKE HAVOC ....

It is up to us to use the other side of mind to co-create what we want to see here..that will help .....

YOUR THOUGHTS CREATE YOUR REALITY ...
      CHOOSE WISLEY ..

I read in some book that each thought we have manifests ...

For all the mosquitos they have out there those a projections of manifested bad thought ....

Be careful...

We have to evolve out own thinking and become masters of thought...
      V
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Many quotes, many interesting points ...
      Quote Originally Posted by Logio View Post
      People usually don't turn gay.
      Unless you chuck them in prison. I'm kidding. There is a more serious point which I intended to make beyond the quip...homophobic societies do have a way of making gay people 'straight'. Conformity. Many old cultures and societies are based on a strict set of 'rules', foremost of which is 'thy shalt reproduce'. The driving forces behind these cultures wanted dominance, power, conquest and continuity. Ironically, the only way we can now achieve continuity is by scaling back the amount of reproduction. I'm not being stupid enough for a second to say that straight people will consciously decide to be gay (not gonna happen unless, like I said, you throw them in jail! ). Just more responsibility maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      I think for the most part...having many children gives you some what an upper hand. If you have many children, one is bound to be successfull.
      I understand this as a reasoning for people in third world countries, or countries where people have children in the hope that their children will look after them in their old age. This is a real structural problem, I think. I don't know how you'd get over that one. We don't have this excuse in the western world. We don't have to fear that we won't survive or be able to feed ourselves in our old age without children to take us in and look after us. At least not that I think...

Quote Originally Posted by planetlove View Post
      From my point of view its worthless to stress yourself about what is....
      From my view above at 35000 feet ....

"the earth is full of life every square inch
      From the depths of the ocean to the galaxies above"...

what we should be doin is putting our energies into is ourself....
      and try to get more people into realizing there purpose here....
      I totally get what you mean, V. What is IS, and there's no point stressing. I didn't mean to stress or worry. It's just something which I think needs to be understood so we can be aware and focus our intent positively.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
      Fact; This planet will not support such disproportionate numbers.
      And you can rest assured that there will come a time when the Universe will intervien, reducing the number of humans and return balance to this ecosphere.
      It's simply a matter of time.
      And whether or not you like it or even believe me, that time is growing near.
      We Are Responsible.
      Sleep on that thought.
      I understand this totally. There is a natural balance and no matter how much we threaten to tip that balance, the organising intelligence which underlies the stars and planets and us, will seek to reinstate the balance. There are so many natural disasters happening upon the planet right now, part of me can't help but wonder whether nature is trying to tell us something or is seeking to re-balance.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Hey Lucid.....I don't know how I feel about overpopulation besides the fact that humans tend to overuse things and misuse, take advantage of, abuse, things...(you know what i mean)......and some humans are not that clean and that causes other issues. And as far as the world needing more gays, and I know you were joking....but, I am not sure how I feel about that either. I see humans as humans period. I have learned not to seperate gays and males and females and young and old.......yet, actions are looked upon a certain way, and sometimes some may just not understand it. I don't have any problem with gays, and never really had any opinion about it because like I said we are all human. But, I have been thinking lately, and when it comes to sex.......I don't know how I feel about two men...but, thats just my own thoughts and it may have something to do with how I was raised and what I was taught the norm was. So, yes, if it is about love...I can understand that all day long...you love who you love whether male or female.....but, if heteralsexuals have to stop having sex because we are having too many children....then why should gays even have sex? Uhhhh, I feel like I am opening a can of worms, but I hope I am getting the fact across that I have much love in my heart. I am not judging or hating or anything.......It is just that one thing I cannot undertand...but, thats just me. Do I want to understand? hmmm, I must also ask myself that I guess......

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      Hey Lucid.....I don't know how I feel about overpopulation besides the fact that humans tend to overuse things and misuse, take advantage of, abuse, things...(you know what i mean)......and some humans are not that clean and that causes other issues.
      Absolutely know what you mean! I guess the key is for us to be aware of that and what we are doing to the world and each other and then we can choose differently.

And as far as the world needing more gays, and I know you were joking....but, I am not sure how I feel about that either. I see humans as humans period. I have learned not to seperate gays and males and females and young and old.......
      I'm totally with you! There's no need to separate or create abstractions, and yet the mind loves to do that.

.....but, if heteralsexuals have to stop having sex because we are having too many children....then why should gays even have sex? Uhhhh, I feel like I am opening a can of worms, but I hope I am getting the fact across that I have much love in my heart. I am not judging or hating or anything.......It is just that one thing I cannot undertand...but, thats just me. Do I want to understand? hmmm, I must also ask myself that I guess......
      Don't worry, the comments I made about straight people stopping having sex and more gay people were very flippant and tongue in cheek. I wish I hadn't said that now, because it mixes humour with a very important subject.

The answer really lies in us all realising that our every action and even thought and deed impacts the whole. If we can recognise that we are severely overpopulating the world, then maybe we can find out the causes and tackle them. Once again, awareness is paramount, because unless we are aware of the problem then we can't focus on the solution.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks Lucid! You are absolutely right! your response made my day....I am a broke down woman right now...so, I am picking for the little pieces of happiness right now...so glad I have friends like you, so glad I have my family, and so glad to have my health...but, I am hurting right now...can't wait for it to go away! sorry..a little off subject, but in response to your post....the way you responded just made me feel good

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Just sent you a message, I really hope you feel much better soon and I'm sure I speak on behalf of everyone that we're grateful for you being here too!! Big hugs to you!