Thread: Enigma

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Cool

Dearest Sphinx. That was so very well said. I completely agree. LOL. And here I was beginning to think I was one of the very few who felt that as you've so elloquently expressed here.
      Thank you very much for voicing that.

Growth Through Adversity

Mr. Brightside
      This user has no status.
        Edit
      I am:
      ----
        Edit

Because we all need a dose of Enigma now and again

Turn it up, Turn off the Lights, Take a deep breath and.... sing it at the top of your voice

yayayayayayayayayayohohohohohooooooohhh
      Following the Sun - Enigma

Following the sun, to find the one
      Who's giving you the wings to fly
      Following the sun, the golden one
      Losing sense for space and time

Can you feel the waves of life
      (Can you) hear the sigh of love
      Do you believe in it ?

Following the sun, just for the one
      Till you'll find the door you thought
      Following the sun, like everyone
      Searching for a sign of hope

Have a look up to the sky
      See the billion stars above
      Cos (maybe) on one of them
      You'll spend your further life

Beautiful

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Some of you may remember my signature from the EMB days ... ENJOY!!
      Attached Images Attached Images
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Well, at this point, Ive pretty much gotten Enigma out of my system. I havent listened in months, dont expect to do so any time soon and wont be buying the platinum collection (a first for me as I bouight EVERYTHING else the very day it was released). Unfortunately, the going ons at the EMB pretty much ruined the Enigma experience for me although I did try to hang on afterwards.

The Cretu Goddism Syndrome really got under my skin and really made me see humanity in a lesser light. Funny, considering the "message" of the music. Some people turned it into something like religion and as such became totally intolerant of anyone who didnt bow at their alter.

I bow to no one.

Also being a musician and composer, I felt like certain people saw that as a kind of sacriledge. In fact, one very high placed member confided to me that I was seen as the anti-Cretu on the EMB. Totally irrational.

Furthermore, I find that the arrogance and dismissive attititude that Cretu has towards other musicians that either supported him (i.e. Gad, Peterson) as well as other like artists (i.e. Delerium) enables that behaviour from the Cretu zealots. I find that I dont like the man and find him totally irresponsible as an artist and role model. As an artist myself, I think its paramount that artists maintain a certain decorum that establishes an example of artistic integrity and responsibility. Cretu, as a man, doesn't seem to understand his responsibility as an artist and is more governed by his need for total and unadultrated recognition as the ONLY true artist. Its BS, delusional and totally flies in the face of what I thought Enigma was.

Furthermore, while I tried hard to overlook the obvious lack of true creative vision in E7, that was brought home to me by something that occurred some months back. My son is enrolled at one of the leading audio production school in the nation. As part of his theory class for the bachelors program, he had to suggest and bring in a recorded work to be discussed for its technical merits. He choose E7. The class AND the professer tore it to shreds on the grounds that it was nothing more than a sample library rearranged, but totally unchanged in terms of context. That while Enigma was known to use sampling to a great extent, there had always been creative license at work in the past and that E7 made no such effort to establish an individual vision except on the lyrical side. My sontold me that kids were calling out the names of the loops used from memory while listening. In the end, they considered it a total perversion of the art form.

And you know what? They're right. Even loopers on AcidPlanet had a sense of artistic originality and if they recognized a loop easily, they made sure the producer knew it was unacceptable.

I really have very little respect for the man at this point as I see him as a delusional, over important phony lacking in artistically ethical character. Does it sound nice? Sure. But I cant help but think of Glen Miller and the dedication he had for the progression of music and his quest for the "sound". Or Mozart who completely changed the face of music by throwing away anything anybody else has done and speaking completely from the heart in his OWN words. Those are true musical geniouses and heroes and Cretu is an abberation of everything they stood for. And you know what? Neither expected anyone kissing their feet and neither ever put down their contemporaries. Their work, totally theirs, speaks for itself through the ages.

Just my thoughts. Really dont expect anyone to understand or even agree. Just needed to get that off my chest once and for all.
      Last edited by Jester Black; November 7th, 2009 at 05:36 AM.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

My God Jay, that was one angry post. I swear there was almost steam coming off my computer screen as I read it. I don't see any need for so much antagonism.

Regardless of what you or others say - and regardless of whether you deem me as being a victim of "Cretu Goddism syndrome", I LOVE Enigma. It is my first musical love. Michael Cretu is an inspiration to me, and by all accounts that I've heard, an extremely nice man. Do I think he's a saint? No. Do I love every single song he's ever done. No. But his work actually inspired me in all kinds of endeavours, not just music, but visual art and even my writing. Nothing can change that.

And I really like E7, as do most other people I know. As for the people bitching about loops...I can only find one single Apple loop in Logic which I recognise from E7 and even that sounds quite different because it was edited and sped up. And even if I'm wrong and the whole thing is just loops, then I still don't care, because it's an album I happen to enjoy. And again, nothing can change that.
      Last edited by BlueStar; November 5th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      My God Jay, that was one angry post. I swear there was almost steam coming off my computer screen as I read it. I don't see any need for so much antagonism.

Regardless of what you or others say - and regardless of whether you deem me as being a victim of "Cretu Goddism syndrome", I LOVE Enigma. It is my first musical love and it will be my last true musical love. Michael Cretu is an inspiration to me, and by all accounts that I've heard, an extremely nice man. Do I think he's a saint? No. Do I love every single song he's ever done. No. But his work actually inspired me in all kinds of endeavours, not just music, but visual art and even my writing. Nothing can change that.

And I really like E7, as do most other people I know. As for the people bitching about loops...I can only find one single Apple loop in Logic which I recognise from E7 and even that sounds quite different because it was edited and sped up. And even if I'm wrong and the whole thing is just loops, then I still don't care, because it's an album I happen to enjoy. And again, nothing can change that.

No, no. Cretu Goddism Syndrome isnt referring to anyone here. I wouldnt be here if I was. Im referring to certain individuals who went out of their way on the EMB to make life miserable for me and certain others who dared to have a mind of our own musically. You most certainly were not one of those. And again, my thoughts and not really trying to get anyone to agree with me at all. In fact, I fully believe that people should find joy in whatever makes them happy...so long as its not destructive. So I think you finding inspiration in it is a good thing. Its just not working for me anymore for the reasons I stated. And in all honesty, the EMB experience has probably tainted the way i see the man, in fact, Im pretty certain of it.

But I DO feel betrayed by the artist that actually inspired me to create the Black Ether project (well that and the fact that if i didnt do something creative right after 9/11, I probably wouldnt be here today....). And in truth, everytime I see Enigma mentioned here, it takes me back to the EMB and I cant tell you how much Ive learned to hate that place...soo I needed to get it off my chest...purge if you will, so I can move on...hopefully amongst friends.
      Last edited by Jester Black; November 5th, 2009 at 03:28 PM.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I'm glad you clarified your position Jay. I know you're not alone in having negative experiences with the EMB forum, and I have to tell you the new Enigma forum is not a place you'd want to be around. It's an extremely negative environment. You are among friends here. We are Jedi, not Sith

I do think you were extremely harsh on Cretu, as really all we know of him is from interviews...and as someone who distrusts most forums of media, I don't think we're really qualified to judge someone unless we know them in person. And even then, who are we to judge? Sometimes we measure people to our standards, but we're all so different in this world that even this is futile and useless. It's a shame that you are unhappy with his recent direction and choices but maybe he still deserves your respect for that initial inspiration he gave you? A single moment of inspiration can create a lifetime of change.
      Last edited by BlueStar; November 5th, 2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo!
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Perhaps, but im not going to argue the point. In the end, from the fans perspective, it doesnt matter. And I wont take that away from anyone.

But I am more than qualified to judge his musical endeavers just through my academic credentials. And if as as artists and musictologists, we dont dont continuosly question each other on what actually constitutes an original work, then why on earth would anyone take the time and put the effort into learning theory, composition and mastering an instrument or 2 or 10? And if thats the case, well, what are you left with?

Silence.

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Exposition View Post
      ... I know you're alone in having negative experiences with the EMB forum, .
      Um WTH? I hope you just forgot to put the word 'Not' in there my friend.
      It was mine and I had nothing but! but we all know that story...

Ok I've made my peace, move on...

New Enigma work? Nope I wont be buying, I have moved on in many ways, not bitter just moved on.
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by God's Toy View Post
      Um WTH? I hope you just forgot to put the word 'Not' in there my friend.
      It was mine and I had nothing but!

Ok I've made my peace, move on...
      Ooops sorry I did mean to say 'NOT alone' ! I loved the place cos I got to meet all you wonderful folks...but it was a rocky place at time. Thankfully it's regeneration seems to have inherited the rockiness and we appear lucky enough to have reaped the good karma

Peter is right though. The past is past. We all live and learn and move on.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

lol, I did see that but understood the "not" HAD to be missing. I was hardly alone, not by a long shot. Oh well LOL.

Peter sometimes Im surprised you still have hair with all the ongoings and the behind the scene stuff. LOL.

You guys are right, but thanks for allowing me to purge. Now I can move on.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

wow guys,...so, as you all know, I was sort of late finding Enigma...so I am still fresh and in love.....yet, my personality is to never worship anyone. I do also understand that when you are in the spot light....man, if your personality gets out...it can damage you. Yet, we are all human...and every genius is not a 'friendly' person....and may have personality issues and so on. So, I don't judge by that...I don't judge by the samples or anything. As a person who grew up on hip hop music...I mean, sampling is sort of a way of life. But, Enigma makes me happy...I chose it without the radio playing it 100 times a day, and its for me and only me......but, I was so happy to meet people on the EMB who loved this music as I did. I then found out that everyone wasn't so happy....and I've learned things...that I could have done without...but, still the music touches me.....but, then again, like R-Kelly for instance...is a great R&B artist...but, I just can't get past the young girl thing. But, if I didn't know about his thing with young girls...I would still be jamming to the music. I still Jam to his music because it gets play on the radio, yet I wouldn't purchase anything. Just some things as individuals, we can't deal with..and his thing with young girls, I can't deal with. So, hopefully Cretu is not out there messing with 15 year olds.........but, untill then, I will still enjoy the music.

I understand all you guys points...and I appreciate your honesty Jay...I sure didn't know that you felt that way. But, I am glad you got it off your chest...hey, you never know...now that you got it off your chest...and have distanced yourself from the EMF...then, maybe, you will give Cretu another chance.

Also, no matter what he said about Jens and the others....I absolutely Love Jens Gad...and nothing Cretu will say will change that.

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Has anyone recently checked out EnigmaSpace ... the top part of the page looks like a preview of what may come ... *Hm?* ... so enigmatic!
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Have any of you ever listened to The Art of Noise? I'm thinking maybe Cretu could have been a bit inspired by this group; it has some Enigma qualities to it.

Just curious.

Nathan

is is here... sometimes

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      Well, at this point, Ive pretty much gotten Enigma out of my system. I havent listened in months, dont expect to do so any time soon and wont be buying the platinum collection (a first for me as I bouight EVERYTHING else the very day it was released). Unfortunately, the going ons at the EMB pretty much ruined the Enigma experience for me although I did try to hang on afterwards.

The Cretu Goddism Syndrome really got under my skin and really made me see humanity in a lesser light. Funny, considering the "message" of the music. Some people turned it into something like religion and as such became totally intolerant of anyone who didnt bow at their alter.

I bow to no one.

Also being a musician and composer, I felt like certain people saw that as a kind of sacriledge. In fact, one very high placed member confided to me that I was seen as the anti-Cretu on the EMB. Totally irrational.

Furthermore, I find that the arrogance and dismissive attititude that Cretu has towards other musicians that either supported him (i.e. Gad, Peterson) as well as other like artists (i.e. Delerium) enables that behaviour from the Cretu zealots. I find that I dont like the man and find him totally irresponsible as an artist and role model. As an artist myself, I think its paramount that artists maintain a certain decorum that establishes an example of artistic integrity and responsibility. Cretu, as a man, doesn't seem to understand his responsibility as an artist and is more governed by his need for total and unadultrated recognition as the ONLY true artist. Its BS, delusional and totally flies in the face of what I thought Enigma was.

Furthermore, while I tried hard to overlook the obvious lack of true creative vision in E7, that was brought home to me by something that occurred some months back. My son is enrolled at one of the leading audio production school in the nation. As part of his theory class for the bachelors program, he had to suggest and bring in a recorded work to be discussed for its technical merits. He choose E7. The class AND the professer tore it to shreds on the grounds that it was nothing more than a sample library rearranged, but totally unchanged in terms of context. That while Enigma was known to use sampling to a great extent, there had always been creative license at work in the past and that E7 made no such effort to establish an individual vision except on the lyrical side. My sontold me that kids were calling out the names of the loops used from memory while listening. In the end, they considered it a total perversion of the art form.

And you know what? They're right. Even loopers on AcidPlanet had a sense of artistic originality and if they recognized a loop easily, they made sure the producer knew it was unacceptable.

I really have very little respect for the man at this point as I see him as a delusional, over important phony lacking in artistically ethical character. Does it sound nice? Sure. But I cant help but think of Glen Miller and the dedication he had for the progression of music and his quest for the "sound". Or Mozart who completely changed the face of music by throwing away anything anybody else has done and speaking completely from the heart in his OWN words. Those are true musical geniouses and heroes and Cretu is an abberation of everything they stood for. And you know what? Neither expected anyone kissing their feet and neither ever put down their contemporaries. Their work, totally theirs, speaks for itself through the ages.

Just my thoughts. Really dont expect anyone to understand or even agree. Just needed to get that off my chest once and for all.
      What took you so long? LOL! I have been waiting and waiting for this post and it has finally come! LOL!
      I hope all is well with you Jay. God bless.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

whatcha mean what took him so long? He made sure we knew he was no longer a Cretu fan shorty after this thread was created!

@Nathan, Absolutley! I am also an Art of Noise fan....and when I ask people about Enigma, it seems that many people put those two together and say things like Enigma and Art of Noise are the way to go! Once I heard that the first time a couple of years ago, I immediately realized the comparison. Thanks for bringing that up Nathan!

And for the record, I am thoroughly enjoying my Platinum Collection..just downloaded it today The CD was not available in my area from some reason....

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

So, I'm listening to ENIGMA 7LMF today while painting in the studio ... I'm sitting there at the easel, not really paying much attention to the music nor am I really thinking about the painting ... I'm in the groove 'the zone' and then suddenly I 'heard' or could make out the lyrics in Fata Morgana.

Of course we all know that Nanook sings 'Take me now' over and over ..... but I heard more after that!!

I heard ... 'Running outta time' ....

Have any of you Enigma junkies heard that yet!? *he-he*

In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

I have had this CD on 'replay' constantly since approximately 5 PM CST. It's been playing for 7 hours now and I'm still enjoying it. The CD is just beginning again. This time through I'll listen for that and let you know if I catch it.

Growth Through Adversity

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

I heard it. I always thought it was "In and out of time."
      Can you possibly check EMB for lyrics???
      I'll check around to see what I may be able to find.
      In this regard I would think EMB would be more creditable.?.
      p.s., Love the sync.

Growth Through Adversity

is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Blog Entries

After a little research [shhh. I even went to EMB.], when I found it written as anything other than 'Instrumental' it was "Running out of time." lol. Except one site where it was simply "All time."

Growth Through Adversity