This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default The meaning behind the name...

SoulChild... this is for you my dear

Elizabeth:

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: i-LIZ-ə-bəth (English) [key]
      From Ελισαβετ (Elisabet), the Greek form of the Hebrew name אֱלִישֶׁבַע ('Elisheva') meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance". The Hebrew form appears in the Old Testament where Elisheba is the wife of Aaron, while the Greek form appears in the New Testament where Elizabeth is the mother of John the Baptist.

Among Christians, this name was originally more common in Eastern Europe. It was borne in the 12th century by Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, a daughter of King Andrew II who became a Franciscan nun and lived in poverty. In medieval England it was occasionally used in honour of the saint, though the form Isabel (from Provençal and Spanish) was more common. It has been very popular in England since the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II (1926-) and actress Elizabeth Taylor (1932-).

Elizabeth is a very common first name for women (#5 out of 4276)

Hello Elizabeth
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I thought I would also do the names I can find of all us crazy members...... feel free to add (or subtract LOL)

Just for fun

Polly

The name Polly is a baby girl name. The name Polly comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Polly is: Rhyming variant of Molly, which is a diminutive of Mary: wished-for-child
      Paula
      In English the meaning of the name Paula is:From the Latin Paulus, meaning "humble."*

Sean

The name Sean is a baby boy name. The name Sean comes from the Irish origin. In Irish The meaning of the name Sean is: Irish variant of John: God is gracious; gift from God.

Michael

The name Michael is a baby boy name. The name Michael comes from the Hebrew origin. In Hebrew The meaning of the name Michael is: Who is like God? Gift from God. In the Bible, St. Michael was the conqueror of Satan and patron saint of soldiers.

Lorraine

The name Lorraine is a baby girl name. The name Lorraine comes from the French origin. In French The meaning of the name Lorraine is: From Lorraine. From Lotharingia. From Lothair's Kingdom. (Joan of Arc was from here) Lothair was a ruler of the region during the 9th century.

Lorian

The name Lorian is a baby girl name. The name Lorian comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Lorian is: Modern variant of Lora and Laurie referring to the laurel tree or sweet bay tree symbolic of honor and victory

Peter

The name Peter is a baby boy name. The name Peter comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Peter is: A rock. Peter the biblical fisherman and apostle had impulsive nature and rocklike faith. In Catholic tradition he is the first pope.

Rory

The name Rory is a baby boy name. The name Rory comes from the Irish origin. In Irish The meaning of the name Rory is: Red. Sixteenth-century rebel chief Rory O'More is celebrated in Irish poetry.

Florin

Usage: Romanian
      Romanian form of FLORIAN
      Floriana

The name Floriana is a baby girl name. The name Floriana comes from the French origin. In French The meaning of the name Floriana is: Flower.

Jay

The name Jay is a baby boy name. The name Jay comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Jay is: To rejoice (from the Latin 'Gaius'). The name of a bird. Used as a diminutive for any name starting with 'J', and can also be used as a nickname for someone who talks a lot.
      *Note: I didn’t write these… LOL

Rana

The girl's name Rana \r(a)-
      Top of Form 1na\ is pronounced RAH-nah. It is of Arabic origin, and its meaning is "beautiful, eye-catching".

Will

The name William is a baby boy name. The name William comes from the German origin. In German The meaning of the name William is: Resolute protector; will. For a long time after the Norman conquest in A.D. 1066 many English boys were given some form of William the Conquers name. William. The firstborn son of Prince Charles is named William.

John

The name John is a baby boy name. The name John comes from the English origin. In English the meaning of the name John is: Jehovah has been gracious; has shown favor.* From the Greek name Iohannes.* In the Bible John the Baptist baptized Christ in the Jordan river. Variants have been created in almost every language.

Gen

Variant of Jennifer. The name Jennifer is a baby girl name. The name Jennifer comes from the Welsh origin. In Welsh The meaning of the name Jennifer is: Fair one. White wave. Variant of Guinevere. In Arthurian Mythology Guinevere was Arthur's queen.

Shalott

In Arthurian legend, this is a name of an island in Tennyson’s poem “The Lady of Shalott” concerning Elaine of Astolat, a maiden who falls in love with Lancelot, but dies of grief when he cannot return her love, Shalott is a river near Camelot.

Patrik

Variant of Patrick. The name Patrick is a baby boy name. The name Patrick comes from the Irish origin. In Irish The meaning of the name Patrick is: Patrician; noble. Romans society was divided into plebeians: (commoners) and patricians: (aristocrats). Saint Patrick - patron saint of Ireland.

Mary

The name Mary is a baby girl name. The name Mary comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Mary is: Although the original meaning is not certain, the name is thought to come from the Egyptian word "mry," meaning beloved. * Mary is a variant of Miriam. The Biblical mother of Christ. Names like Dolores and Mercedes have been created to express aspects of Mary's life and worship.

Angela

The name Angela is a baby girl name. The name Angela comes from the Italian origin. In Italian The meaning of the name Angela is: Feminine form of Angelo: Messenger of God; angel.

Chad

The name Chad is a baby boy name. The name Chad comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Chad is: Protector; defender. English form of a Welsh name meaning battle or warring. Famous bearer: 7th- century bishop St Chad founded the Samaritans, a charitable organization providing service for the suicidal and despairing. Also Of Ethiopian origin, meaning:great love.

Shannon

The name Shannon is a baby boy name. The name Shannon comes from the Irish origin. In Irish The meaning of the name Shannon is: Little old wise one. Surname and river name.
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Thanks my brotherly friend I never knew my name was of Irish origin, I assumed it was Scottish. You learn something new each day !
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Yeah Rory...its spelt Ruairi here

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

Cool!

Thanks for this thread

Peter was/is my given birth name and Sumedha is my given Buddhist name (if you ever wanted to know)
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by brother View Post
      SoulChild... this is for you my dear

Elizabeth:

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: i-LIZ-ə-bəth (English) [key]
      From Ελισαβετ (Elisabet), the Greek form of the Hebrew name אֱלִישֶׁבַע ('Elisheva') meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance". The Hebrew form appears in the Old Testament where Elisheba is the wife of Aaron, while the Greek form appears in the New Testament where Elizabeth is the mother of John the Baptist.

Among Christians, this name was originally more common in Eastern Europe. It was borne in the 12th century by Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, a daughter of King Andrew II who became a Franciscan nun and lived in poverty. In medieval England it was occasionally used in honour of the saint, though the form Isabel (from Provençal and Spanish) was more common. It has been very popular in England since the reign of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II (1926-) and actress Elizabeth Taylor (1932-).

Elizabeth is a very common first name for women (#5 out of 4276)

Hello Elizabeth
      Thanks so much brother...you rock!!!..so, I have had the definition " God is my oath" and thats basically the only definition I have ever had. To me, it means loyalty.....or loyalty to the sabbath because of the greek (eli 'sabet'), and it also gave me the feeling of being loyal to my religion or beliefs..which I am....and am loyal in general...but, that may also have something to do with me being 'cancer'...???

By the way, my arabic or muslim name is Samiyrah.....(following God's Toy's lead).....many of the people in my organization have since changed their islaamic names to egyption names...but, I just never did that. My name Elizabeth has always seemed to be powerful to me...I am named after my grandmother...well, I thought I was untill my mom called me last month, and told me that she just learned her mothers real name after over 60 years of thinking 'Elizabeth' was my grandmothers first name, when it is her middle name, and her first name is actually lillith...or lilly...I think? Anyway, she never told us.....untill recently.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Peter was/is my given birth name and Sumedha is my given Buddhist name (if you ever wanted to know)
      How did you come to have a Buddhist name Peter? Thats cool
      Sumedha means intelligence, very wise

I can't find the meaning of the name Samiyrah, Elizabeth... but I gave that name my oldest daughter, her middle name is Elizabeth. God's Oath means God's Promise to me..... I rather like that You are God's promise
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Excellent thread Chad - thank you so much for all the info - I really like the origin of Rory (thanks to Lorri for the extra little bit of info), very cool indeed!

One of the things I like to do online is research the origins of surnames (anyones) .... I have always known that my last name is German in origin. For years my Dad always wanted to know what our last name meant and or if it had a meaning of any kind ... well, my Dad passed away before the advancement of the internet search engines ... so, years laters in my indepth online reseaching ... I found out in the old Germanic language our last name roughly translates to 'Small Spring'.
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Jay

The name Jay is a baby boy name. The name Jay comes from the English origin. In English The meaning of the name Jay is: To rejoice (from the Latin 'Gaius'). The name of a bird. Used as a diminutive for any name starting with 'J', and can also be used as a nickname for someone who talks a lot.
      *Note: I didn’t write these… LOL
      Lol, well Jay really is a nickname, in fact a dimunitive for my middle name. But strangely, Im often accused of talking too LITTLE!!! I am however, long winded in my writing.

That middle name I mentioned is Jashom. Its an extremely rare moorish name, or so Im told and I could never find the meaning.

But my actual given name is.....drumroll please.................Julian.

The boy's name Julian \j(u)-

Variant of Julius, the family clan name of several of the most powerful Roman emperors.

From the Roman name Iulianus, which was derived from JULIUS and its meaning is "Jove's child". . This was the name of the last pagan Roman emperor, Julian the Apostate (4th century).

It was also borne by several early saints, including the legendary Saint Julian the Hospitaller, who I am named after. As some of you know, I am a Hospitaller (Knight of Malta) and my paternal family has been tied to the order since its roots in the 11th century and the First Crusade.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Wow...very cool!!

I did have to laugh at the Jay definition....... talk too much!???

It must be a very humbling and empowering thing to know that much of your family history... there is alot of energy behind that.

thank you Julian!
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

And Gen is my nick as well.

Genesis,
      however is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew Be're'sith meaning origin, or beginning.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Wow...very cool!!

I did have to laugh at the Jay definition....... talk too much!???

It must be a very humbling and empowering thing to know that much of your family history... there is alot of energy behind that.

thank you Julian!
      yes it is.

btw, for those that dont know, Jove is the God Jupiter. So apparently Im the offspring of a whole lot of gas

figures

is Living in my now

I am:
      Meh

Blog Entries

awww thankyou ..ive always loved names too .. Rana is ther name my mum chose for me when i was younger i never connected with it for some reason ..it even felt od saying my own name ..seemed i wasnt attatched to it ..but as ive grown ..so to have i grown to that name .. my middle name is Irene after my nana who is called rene so i go with that too .. xx

" BE PRESENT "

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I can't find the meaning of the name Samiyrah, Elizabeth... but I gave that name my oldest daughter, her middle name is Elizabeth. God's Oath means God's Promise to me..... I rather like that You are God's promise
      Thanks again...and I like 'gods promise' as well...thanks so much for that!
      You may not have found anything for 'Samiyrah' because of the spelling...you may find the definition under 'samira' pronounced Sah and mirror....I was also thinking about how similar it sounds to peters Buddhist name 'Sumedha'...well it sounds similar based on how I am pronouncing it.

My last name that I was born under is 'Sparks' if there is any meaning to that....and my father later changed it to 'Hassan' which I think means 'handsome warrior'??? and my husband last name 'Lockley' which I have a feeling has something to do with slavery and perhaps working under the 'lock smith'. I do understand that 'smith' comes from that (slavery)..maybe they got tired of calling everyone 'smith' and decided to create some variations???

have a great day all! This is a very interesting and fun thread!

Oh, and Rana, I think your name is beautiful...and if I happen to have another child...that name will be at the top of my list.

And Jay, If I have another child (boy) I may have to kidnapp that moorish name????...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by SoulChild View Post
      And Jay, If I have another child (boy) I may have to kidnapp that moorish name????...
      by all means, but dont blame me when he one day looks at you and says "Mom, what were you thinking? Are you trying to get me killed?!!!???"

btw, the reason I use Jay today is because the kids in my neighborhood would try to pronounce Julian in spanish and it would come out like "Who Leon?" Id say NO! Jay and it just stuck

Administrator
      is testing new status and mods
      settings

I am:
      Godly

Blog Entries

After I learned the teachings of the Buddha and took refuge in the Three Jewels of the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha, I receive my name as a gift and a confirmation to my vows from my teacher, a Buddhist Monk .
      Sumedha.

Justified & Ancient.

Owner & Administrator

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Namaste Sumedha
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê

is i am U

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Varune...

Water God
      or
      Lord of the Sea

V
      This great, Supreme God of all the Gods is limited in one respect: He cannot take Himself out of you , anything or anyone else.You are the projector and the screen ...you are the movie and every player is you ....The Projector - The Bodys eyes ...the screen = the world and the universe you see...Know thy self ...

is getting there

I am:
      Secret

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planetlove View Post
      Varune...

Water God
      or
      Lord of the Sea

V
      Why does that not surprise me honey??

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by تكوين View Post
      And Gen is my nick as well.

Genesis,
      however is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew Be're'sith meaning origin, or beginning.

cool Gen
      your nick fits I see your avitar and think Gennie with the long dark hair LOL

planetlove Varune...

Water God
      or
      Lord of the Sea
      trying to get to know everyone..... planetlove arent you our resident pilot?
      äîìëåú ùì àìåäéí òí áê