• Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Occupy Wall Street

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Occupy Wall Street

Occupy Wall Street?

The last issue of Montclarion, a student newspaper at Montclair State University,*published an article of Grover Furr, about the Occupy Wall Street movement:

http://www.themontclarion.org/archives/3740261

Yes, rich people always want to be richer and richer. This is unfortunate; no one knows how to stop this, without taking away constructive motivation. What fraction of Bill Gates' fortune is consumed and what fraction is productively invested? My guess is that the first fraction is much less than 10%, and that he is not a rare exception.

What does Professor Furr have to offer us? Consider a complex machine which works but not perfectly. Anyone can destroy it; no advanced knowledge is usually needed to accomplish this. But one has to be highly knowledgeable in order to repair it, or to design a better replacement. I am thinking about sophisticated engines, airplanes, TV sets, X ray scanners, computers, airconditioners, oil refineries, etc.

The same is true for an economic system. No system is perfect; but some are more efficient than others. Trying to destroy US capitalism *without offering something better is likely to create a lot of misery. I am thinking about what Lenin and Stalin did, as decribed in my two short books. These books are now freely available online; the links are at:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/links.html

Note that even now, one hundred years after the Soviet revolution, standards of living in Russia are much lower than in the US, and in other western countries.

Ludwik Kowalski*(see Wikipedia)
      Ludwik Kowalski, author of a free ON-LINE book entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.” Google will provide the clickable link. Or see below.
      h*ttp:*//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.h*tml (but remove * after pasting)
      It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA)

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

It's funny I was about to start a thread on this! Great minds think alike

There's so much I want to say on this, and I don't have much time at the moment, so I will be back. Some initial thoughts though:

I'm actually delighted to see people finally protesting the rampant greed and insanity that has been destroying our society and world. It's not, as far as I can see, about wanting to get rid of capitalism. It's more about wanting to get rid of bad capitalism. That's an important distinction that I first heard made by Polly Toynbee.

Ultimately I believe the entire system is fundamentally unsustainable - it's basically modelled on a ponzi scheme (which is, as it happens, illegal in most countries. How ironic). We really need some forward-thinkers about now, we need to create a way to either salvage the system we have, stripped of the toxic greed and cancerous self-interest, or create viable alternatives.

I strongly feel it's an important movement and I believe it will continue to grow as the economy worsens (and the bankers get richer).

As I saw on someone's facebook: "When people rob banks they go to jail. When banks rob people, they get bonuses." Touche.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

No one else biting?

Oh well, something I wrote a while back, before this movement even started was: "A society in which everything and everyone is driven by greed and personal gain simply can't sustain itself indefinitely. By it's very nature it's cancerous and will eventually self-destruct. That's why we need a radical shift in the way we do things. This shift certainly won't happen with our 'leaders'. It has to start with us."

Shift happens!

It's important to recognise that the protestors aren't left-field extremists, they're from all walks of life, all ages and demographics. People that are finally waking up to the systemic corruption that -- let's not underplay it -- is destroying our world. The whole world economy is an unsustainable illusion (based upon money that doesn't exist and astronomical debts owed to people who just conjured the 'money' out of thin air in the first place). It would be a joke if it weren't for the immense suffering it has caused...I mean, I wonder how many tens of thousands of people will starve to death this very day? Compassion and caring for our fellow man has to supplant covetous greed. It's just inhuman right now.

Right now the Occupy movement doesn't have a particularly coherent message or agenda. Hopefully that will change. At the moment it seems to be a kind of warning to those in power, the "top 1%" who are controlling the wealth and shaping society, "We know what you're up to and it has to stop". So far it's probably of no concern to them. But look at a common theme emerging around the world right now: seemingly unstoppable, untouchable dictators and oppressive regimes are toppling left right and centre. If that's the way the tide's going, that's the way the tide's going...

Anyway - this makes very interesting reading: The shocking, graphic data that shows exactly what motivates the Occupy movement

The "American dream" is dead. It was only ever just an illusion. It's time to wake up to the reality and sort out this whole sorry mess our collective avarice has created.

Super Moderator
      is is busy in the studio!

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
      The "American dream" is dead. It was only ever just an illusion. It's time to wake up to the reality and sort out this whole sorry mess our collective avarice has created.
      The 'American Dream' phrase was really a tactic, the wool being pulled over the people's eyes to keep them blind and dumb, and trapped in a 9-5 job so they can feed their growing families and to keep the people from knowing what really was/is happening and now, here we are, with 'Occupy Wall Street' movement, the younger generations are saying enough of this, realizing and seeing that the current course of society has all along been directed by a bunch of renagade souls hiding behind their corporations, lawyers and politicians and the like; and with the power of the internet behind them - the once sought after dream is being shattered, completely ...

This whole 'society' in which we all live, is going through a serious course of sedition, recalibrating, revamping and overhaul ...

There is so much of the past wrong-doing's being brought into the light ... there is no turning back now.

Change, major change is afoot.
      In Loving Memory.
      Lion Spirit Walker / September 17, 1963 - Dec 30, 2014.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Absolutely! It used to be that each generation simply replicated what the previous generation did plus or minus around 10%...but I think that's seriously changing now. Something old is being stripped away and something new is definitely blossoming. We live in fascinating times!

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Love this.

What the 99% want:

Over a thousand people on a beach in San Francisco spell out "tax the 1%"

Amen!

q5hvg.jpg

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Oh now that is just too cool!! Love it!! Tax and then some ....
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I was speaking yesterday with a small business owner located on Broadway, just across the street from the occupy wall street demonstrations. A good friend of mine that ive known for some 30 years. Runs an honest business that caters to the "99%" looking to get by in this world by offering them competitive pricing.

He's never been and never will be a rich man and like me, he pays about 35% of his earnings in taxes. He employs 5 people, all part of the "little guy".

Yesterday he told me that hes on the brink of losing his business as his sales has dropped some 65% since the occupy wall street demonstrations began. People are simply staying away. His story isnt unique...its the norm over there.

he said something interesting that I thought Id share.

he said

"why here? what do they think theyre accomplishing HERE? The fatcats dont come here. the fat cats dont even come to Wall Street which is OVER there." he said, gesturing towards the stock market which was several blocks away. "The people who work there are the same ones that come here looking to get a deal because they cant afford more. Working grunts looking to make a living, like me. They dont come here anymore!"

"The fatcats, they stay home in their ivory towers, in places like the Hamptons where they are totally immune to all this. Why not occupy The Hamptons! Why here, where the only people they hurt are the very same people they claim to be fighting for! And then suck up all the dam resources that I have to pay all these *%$*(*& tax dollars for!"

"How does this change one *&&^&^%$ thing except put people like me out of business!"

The mans got a point and it reveals a fundamental flaw in the Occupy Wall street movement. Movements that bite the wrong people are toothless in the long run.

Ive been a social liberal and activist all my life, and as such I understand that to affect change you have to have a negative impact on those whose practices you are trying to change. Up to now, despite all the media, the only people this has had any kind of negative impact on are those that can least afford it and who are the very backbone of the "99%".

On another note, Ludwig made a very important point and i think it was missed....there's a lesson in history that shouldnt be ignored here. I for one, grew up in a world of abject poverty. Through hard work, commitment and perserverance i arose from that world to one of some stature and while Im not a rich man by any means, I do exemplify the possibilities that exist in a free market society. And as such, Ive been able to give back to those who need it most, impossible otherwise. The American Dream? That depends on what BS you bought into. But for me, opportunity existed that would not have been possible in Ludwig's world. Be careful what we wish for and risk losing all thats good along with the bad that DOES need to change.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

You make an interesting point Jay and it's good to consider all aspects.

I'm not naive though. Every action has an infinite number of reactions (just as it has an infinite number of contributing causes). Is the Occupy movement perfect? Of course not! It currently lacks coordination and overall concise direction. But you know, we could wait another 10 - 20 years painstakingly co-ordinating something that would ONLY directly affect those that are being protested against and still it wouldn't be successful in that regard - life just isn't that neat and tidy, or simple. It's sad indeed that people like the guy you mentioned should be affected.But does that mean everyone should pack everything up and forget everything? I don't know if that's what you're saying. But we can't afford to do that. The world is in crisis NOW. People are only just starting to wake up to that...perhaps because our high standards of living have now begun to slip - it's often discomfort that triggers an awakening to the reality of the situation.

I did actually fully consider Ludwik's very pertinent point -- and respect all the more given his personal experience in the matter. That's why I drew the distinction between wanting to get rid of capitalism altogether (which I believe only a small minority of the protesters are actually calling for) versus stamping out the "BAD CAPITALISM" that's a result of the gross systemic corruption that's gradually been eating our society apart from the inside. Now, I admit I do have slightly leftist-leanings, but I still believe that for now at least we can still function within a capitalist framework so long as this blinkered, short-sighted, self-absorbed cancer of GREED is stamped out...or at least kept under check...and I'd like it to start with getting corporations OUT of the governmental process. The interests of the people have to come first and that's just not been happening.

So yeah, definitely caution is important. Reactionary movements can cause problems but we're not in any immediate danger of descending into anarchy, so I wouldn't worry about that. I expect this movement to grow and evolve and hopefully refine its focus and directives. There's something different about it....it's not just thugs, anarchists and reactionaries looking for an opportunity to oppose authority. For the large part, it's calm, rational, sane and compassionate people. Those qualities will serve it well. Indeed it's already having a fascinating and major impact when it comes to what's known as the 'corporation of London'...big things are happening there, a non-democratic and greed-driven body is currently being forced into the open and exposed for what it is.

Changes are inevitable. Of course, as with anything in life, there will be the good with the bad, that's the way it works. But like you yourself said, the change is necessary. The pain and destructiveness of the bad is finally beginning to override what good is there and that's the point where we have to change things. I believe.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

what I'm telling you is that the movement is in danger of losing the street. Im here smack in the middle of it and I see it first hand. They dont know it because they're not listening. If it loses the street, forget momentum, it aint gonna happen. I agree, we dont have 20 years, which is precisely why Im telling you. you cant afford to lose the street...because you cant win without it, period. Message delivered. Listen or not, Ive done my job.
      Last edited by Jester Black; November 3rd, 2011 at 01:19 AM.

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      I"why here? what do they think theyre accomplishing HERE? The fatcats dont come here. the fat cats dont even come to Wall Street which is OVER there." he said, gesturing towards the stock market which was several blocks away. "The people who work there are the same ones that come here looking to get a deal because they cant afford more. Working grunts looking to make a living, like me. They dont come here anymore!"
      Why? I think he ought to know why? And no offense to you or your friend, but if you want to sell a product it's all about location, location, location .... the whole World, the Globe, the international community knows NYC and Wall Street, if it's Hot and Happening it's happening in NYC ... so, that's where they are making their stand, making collective voice be heard ... If anything, I would think if he really wants his business to survive during all this chaos ... lend a helping hand to those protesting ... the least he could do is give out water.

I am just saying there are ways to survive ... you just have to be really smart, really inventive, really creative under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black
      "The fatcats, they stay home in their ivory towers, in places like the Hamptons where they are totally immune to all this. Why not occupy The Hamptons! Why here, where the only people they hurt are the very same people they claim to be fighting for! And then suck up all the dam resources that I have to pay all these *%$*(*& tax dollars for!"
      Then he should pull some protester aside and say so where to go ... if the Movement doesn't know, sure they going about things blindly ... if someone doesn't say anything about it then that';s not being really effective now is it ... it's one thing to complain and do nothing and allow this to happen, but it's another to be active and make a change for every aspect including oneself, which as you well know Jay from your own experinces.

Yes, unfortunately many small business are falling victim and by the way side in the wake of this movement ... they can either let that happen to themselves and bitch and complain or they can reinvent themselves by ledning a hand, pushing them in the right direction, it's not just about surviving .. it's about thriving ... and that means thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black
      The mans got a point and it reveals a fundamental flaw in the Occupy Wall street movement. Movements that bite the wrong people are toothless in the long run.
      Yes, he does. Yes, the Movement is flawed just like the sytem their attacking is flawed, but at least there are young people taking a stand and are willing to try. Trying is better than not trying and the Movement will learn as it evolves, grows and spreads across the Globe ... it will learn to hone in on the right people ...

Anyhoo ... just my thoughts ...
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

With regard to losing the street, it's important to remember that it's not just a street in a single city, but in cities in countries all across the globe. It may flounder in some areas, but what would it take for the entire worldwide movement to suddenly collapse? I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in my life. The way it's spread is quite amazing. Is it possible it'll fizzle out? Maybe. But no one can say. All we can say for certain is that we live in interesting times. The message we've been getting over and over, and which most have ignored because the majority of the species is still asleep at the wheel is...the old ways don't work anymore. Let's see where this goes.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

He has spoken. To someone he knows, someone he trusts, someone who he believes has his best interests in mind and who he knows isnt going to try to screw him. What the movement fails to understand is that it isnt JUST you and them. Theres US as well and the US is what will tip the balance one way or the other. Theres many, many, many, many more of US than you. Do you think that it will just fall into place just because? Its not up to him to come to you, its up to you to make him WANT to come to you and youre not going to do that by ruining his livelihood. You need to GET that because the movement is doomed otherwise. People like him ARE the 99%. You cant say you represent him and then screw him while you do so.

The lessons are there, plain as day all over history. Ignore it at your peril.

I want this to suceed but Im not going to be around to see it through. Im giving you what I know for you to use. If you cant see that, then its already done.

Super Moderator

I am:
      Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Black View Post
      I want this to suceed but Im not going to be around to see it through. Im giving you what I know for you to use. If you cant see that, then its already done.
      That's great he has and this I didn't know. If not all the cards are on the table for any situation how does one expect to move forward well, without completely knowing and understanding ... we're all wanting to learn here, thank you.

Yes, so do I, I want to see this Movement become successful turning point in our broken record of history. I think it's fantastic that something is happening, someone is shaking the sheets on the bed ... saying 'Wake-Up!'. And, you know, I am physically younger than you, I probably won't be around to see/expeirence the long-term benefits of the Movement. Thanks, I do appreciate it.

And if I may be so bold, I do see it!
      In Loving Memory.
      ... All with Purpose ...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

oh, im convinced that you will see it, one way or the other in your lifetime. No doubt about it if im reading the threads correctly. But Im not convinced it will culminate the way wed like. In fact, what I see is rather disturbing, although I still see hope.

But either way, in your lifetime, for sure. And when it does, listen carefully for a voice in the wind saying

"I told you so...."

that would be me lol.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
      Yes, so do I, I want to see this Movement become successful turning point in our broken record of history. I think it's fantastic that something is happening, someone is shaking the sheets on the bed ... saying 'Wake-Up!'.
      This, absolutely, 100%!!

Of course, we can never say with certainty how things will pan out, no one has a crystal ball. But like you said, SOMETHING has to be done. Standing by and accepting a f***d up system that's literally driving us all to the brink of oblivion because we're not 100% sure where the alternate course of action will take us is simply untenable.

Come to the edge, he said.
      They said: We are afraid.
      Come to the edge, he said.
      They came.
      He pushed them and they flew.
      - Guillaume Apollinaire

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

I'm surprised this topic hasn't elicited more debate. But then silence is golden I guess

My concerns about the movement principally centre upon its lack of cohesive structure, vision and manifesto. Hopefully this will soon develop. As Victor Hugo noted, “You can resist an invading army; you cannot resist an idea whose time has come.” I believe this is an idea whose time has well and truly come -- because it's basically necessary for the continued survival of the human race.

Michael Moore has proposed the following in terms of shaping the future of the Occupy movement - and he speaks a whole lot of sense in my book! Here it is, taken from his website. I hope they listen.

Where Does Occupy Wall Street Go From Here?

By Michael Moore

This past weekend I participated in a four-hour meeting of Occupy Wall Street activists whose job it is to come up with the vision and goals of the movement. It was attended by 40+ people and the discussion was both inspiring and invigorating. Here is what we ended up proposing as the movement's "vision statement" to the General Assembly of Occupy Wall Street:

We Envision: [1] a truly free, democratic, and just society; [2] where we, the people, come together and solve our problems by consensus; [3] where people are encouraged to take personal and collective responsibility and participate in decision making; [4] where we learn to live in harmony and embrace principles of toleration and respect for diversity and the differing views of others; [5] where we secure the civil and human rights of all from violation by tyrannical forces and unjust governments; [6] where political and economic institutions work to benefit all, not just the privileged few; [7] where we provide full and free education to everyone, not merely to get jobs but to grow and flourish as human beings; [8] where we value human needs over monetary gain, to ensure decent standards of living without which effective democracy is impossible; [9] where we work together to protect the global environment to ensure that future generations will have safe and clean air, water and food supplies, and will be able to enjoy the beauty and bounty of nature that past generations have enjoyed.

The next step will be to develop a specific list of goals and demands. As one of the millions of people who are participating in the Occupy Wall Street movement, I would like to respectfully offer my suggestions of what we can all get behind now to wrestle the control of our country out of the hands of the 1% and place it squarely with the 99% majority.

Here is what I will propose to the General Assembly of Occupy Wall Street:

10 Things We Want
      A Proposal for Occupy Wall Street
      Submitted by Michael Moore

1. Eradicate the Bush tax cuts for the rich and institute new taxes on the wealthiest Americans and on corporations, including a tax on all trading on Wall Street (where they currently pay 0%).

2. Assess a penalty tax on any corporation that moves American jobs to other countries when that company is already making profits in America. Our jobs are the most important national treasure and they cannot be removed from the country simply because someone wants to make more money.

3. Require that all Americans pay the same Social Security tax on all of their earnings (normally, the middle class pays about 6% of their income to Social Security; someone making $1 million a year pays about 0.6% (or 90% less than the average person). This law would simply make the rich pay what everyone else pays.

4. Reinstate the Glass-Steagall Act, placing serious regulations on how business is conducted by Wall Street and the banks.

5. Investigate the Crash of 2008, and bring to justice those who committed any crimes.

6. Reorder our nation's spending priorities (including the ending of all foreign wars and their cost of over $2 billion a week). This will re-open libraries, reinstate band and art and civics classes in our schools, fix our roads and bridges and infrastructure, wire the entire country for 21st century internet, and support scientific research that improves our lives.

7. Join the rest of the free world and create a single-payer, free and universal health care system that covers all Americans all of the time.

8. Immediately reduce carbon emissions that are destroying the planet and discover ways to live without the oil that will be depleted and gone by the end of this century.

9. Require corporations with more than 10,000 employees to restructure their board of directors so that 50% of its members are elected by the company’s workers. We can never have a real democracy as long as most people have no say in what happens at the place they spend most of their time: their job. (For any U.S. businesspeople freaking out at this idea because you think workers can't run a successful company: Germany has a law like this and it has helped to make Germany the world’s leading manufacturing exporter.)

10. We, the people, must pass three constitutional amendments that will go a long way toward fixing the core problems we now have. These include:

a) A constitutional amendment that fixes our broken electoral system by 1) completely removing campaign contributions from the political process; 2) requiring all elections to be publicly financed; 3) moving election day to the weekend to increase voter turnout; 4) making all Americans registered voters at the moment of their birth; 5) banning computerized voting and requiring that all elections take place on paper ballots.

b) A constitutional amendment declaring that corporations are not people and do not have the constitutional rights of citizens. This amendment should also state that the interests of the general public and society must always come before the interests of corporations.

c) A constitutional amendment that will act as a "second bill of rights" as proposed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt: that every American has a human right to employment, to health care, to a free and full education, to breathe clean air, drink clean water and eat safe food, and to be cared for with dignity and respect in their old age.

Let me know what you think. Occupy Wall Street enjoys the support of millions. It is a movement that cannot be stopped. Become part of it by sharing your thoughts with me or online (at OccupyWallSt.org). Get involved in (or start!) your own local Occupy movement. Make some noise. You don't have to pitch a tent in lower Manhattan to be an Occupier. You are one just by saying you are. This movement has no singular leader or spokesperson; every participant is a leader in their neighborhood, their school, their place of work. Each of you is a spokesperson to those whom you encounter. There are no dues to pay, no permission to seek in order to create an action.

We are but ten weeks old, yet we have already changed the national conversation. This is our moment, the one we've been hoping for, waiting for. If it's going to happen it has to happen now. Don't sit this one out. This is the real deal. This is it.
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."