• Wtf

Thread: M83 - "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming"

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Default M83 - "Hurry Up, We're Dreaming"

Today my favourite album of 2011 is released (I cheated and downloaded it when it leaked - simply because I was impatient, but of course I immediately pre-ordered a CD copy). M83 has a big name for himself as one of the current pioneers in electronic music, although hardly anyone I know has even heard of him, which is why I'm posting this, as more people deserve to know about his music.

It took a few listens to really get into it this staggeringly epic double disc album - it's totally different in sound to virtually anything out there - but once I did I was thoroughly addicted. I mean, I've listened to it at least once a day for the past 6 weeks. M83, named after a distant galaxy, is the pseudonym of talented young French artist Anthony Gonzalez. The sound he's developed here is kind of a mix of 80s synthpop (with just enough of an alternative take to make it interesting), Vangelis/Jean Michel Jarre-esque electronic soundscapes (mainly in the form of several 1-2 minute interludes between the 'main' tracks), the slightly alien orchestral grandeur of Sigur Ros, with a dash of Cocteau Twins and maybe even Enigma (certainly Michael Cretu's early 80's gem 'Legionnaire'). It's extremely creative, fresh, original, fun and...epic. It's a dreamy kind of album, because it is essentially about dreams - specifically the dreams of the two young kids on the album cover. Apparently one disc is the brother's dreams and reflections on life, hope and ambition and the other disc is the sister's.

Anyway, you can listen to the entire album online - http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/page/m83

Was gonna post my favourite tracks, but I see most of them have been taken down from youtube. Only three, but the first two are certainly among my favourites and the third is an example of the ambient interludes that link the album.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Finding heaps of glowing reviews for this!

From The Independent

"HUWD's two discs are a towering city of sparkling synth edifices simultaneously summoning the best of the 1980s (New Order, The Cure) and the current breed (The Knife, Empire of the Sun). The band named after a spiral galaxy have, at last, made a record which befits that. It sounds like a soundtrack for the end of the world, or the birth of new worlds. Extraordinary."

From Seizure Chicken

"As the album title suggests, M83’s sixth studio album, Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming, is about, well, dreams. And as abstract as a theme that dreams may be, that seems to be the point to this beautifully crafted double-album from French synth/dream-pop act M83.

M83 mastermind Anthony Gonzalez took 3 years to complete this epic 22-track beast that clocks in at 1.2 hours of synthesized bliss, and the meticulous patience has paid off.

Boasting production from Justin Meldal-Johnsen, who has contributed with the likes of NiN, Beck and Goldfrapp, along with guest vocals from gothic synth-stress Zola Jesus and guitarist Brad Laner, from shoe-gaze veterans Medicine, Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming is one of those albums that has such a grandiose level of sound to it that listeners will uncontrollably take away something very different from each subsequent listen.

Gonzalez described the album as, “…mainly about dreams, how every one is different, how you dream differently when you’re a kid, a teenager, or an adult…” And just as the dreams throughout the album are different in various ways, the album as a whole is much different than M83’s critically acclaimed album Saturday’s = Youth.

Where Saturday’s = Youth was heavier on the synth-pop genre, Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming takes bits and pieces of M83’s discography to complete the collage of sound that makes up their latest effort. The wall-of-sound ambience of “Before the Dawn Heals Us,” and earlier shoe-gaze elements are very much present with this album, and the collective cohesion of these genres return such an expansive sound-filled result that you’d be doing an injustice to your ears and mind by listening to it on anything other than headphones or a high quality stereo system. Laptop speakers need not apply.
      Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming is the type of album that will take you to different places upon different listens. The seemingly solemn nature of a track like “Wait” has a cloud-like atmosphere that can send the listener to a realm of an uplifting bounce-along while it can just as easily be defeating to the point of tears. Some songs will be reflective and nostalgic where others, like “This Bright Flash,” have a running paranoid sense that is inescapable. But while these are some obvious emotions that can be culled by these songs, each listen will ultimately bring forward internal and personal interpretations. And where there may be lack of cohesion between the tracks, the cohesion may lay in that it’s purposely scatter-brained so each track is it’s own entity to be broken down,analyzed and experienced on its own.

Even the pop-heavy tracks like the first single, “Midnight City,” are fair game for interpretation as it churns along with its backbone synth lines that build upon tiered wail-walls, synth-blips and drum machine blasts make this one of the stand-out tracks on the album. Along with “Midnight City,” the piano-laden “Splendor,” is one of the albums shining moments. With soft choral backgrounds to accompany the spacey synthesizers, this track could be one of those “adult” dreams Gonzalez spoke of, or perhaps it lines more with the dreams of a teenager. This is the beauty of this album; it’s going to connect with listeners on such a personal level because it’s so abstract and full-bodied that it has to. Where some may listen to a track like “Fountains” go into an earthy trance that reminds them to recycle – others will instantly go down nostalgia road when comparisons to the score of “Twin Peaks” arise and they reflect on that time in their lives.

But despite its title and the fast-paced nature of many of the tracks, there is no need to hurry to the listener. This is album is a soaker, a thinker. It can be uplifting and deflating, it can bring back great memories and make you rethink your entire life’s decisions. Just like our own dreams, there never is really an answer to “what does it mean?” Rather it’s a way to think of what it could mean, what it makes you think, what it makes you feel and the variations of these questions that arise with each listen.

This is the triumph of Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming. While it slows at times and a few of the tracks could easily have been discarded without much afterthought, as a whole Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming is M83s most expansive album to date that will from track-to-track make you think differently, feel differently and ask different questions upon each listen that will ultimately have no answer."

From Telegraph online

"Already a firm favourite with indie bloggers, for his sixth record French dream-pop merchant Anthony Gonzalez delivers a double album that finally fuses his innate ingenuity with an accessible, commercial edge. On top of booming synth-pop templates, his cosmic compositions arch off in weird directions, incorporating blues-bar sax solos, Afrobeat slap bass, swooping strings, psychedelic imagery and – really – a children’s story all about frogs. It’s surprisingly exhilarating stuff."

From Pitchfork (who normally give everything negative reviews!)

"......As with any double album, there's a temptation to strip away the instrumental tracks or simply pick the best 50 minutes for your daily commute. But the interludes here are intended to be every bit as purposeful as the singles: The shorter the track, the more evocative its title ("Where the Boats Go", "Train to Pluton", "Another Wave From You"). While many of them stand as intriguing meditations on their own merits, they reinforce Hurry Up's intentions to be an immersive universe-- check in whenever you want, but the magic's in the exploratory phases. And why leave out what falls in between, like the thermite burst of the two-minute "This Bright Flash" or the stately "When Will You Come Home?"-to-"My Tears Are Becoming a Sea" triptych that serves as the connective transit between Side 1 and Side 2.

Then again, I can't blame anyone who takes shortcuts, since the traditionally structured songs here are some of the most thrilling pop music released this year. The heavily saturated synths Gonzalez favored early in his career invited plenty of My Bloody Valentine comparisons, but whereas pure shoegaze of that nature attempts to overwhelm and obliterate, Hurry Up is like a sonic planetarium, penetrable and totally geared toward enhancing the user experience. Few artists make more ingenious use of the sheer physics of rock to this extent-- defining which synth pads strike which emotional pressure points, using percussion as explosives rather than mere elements of timekeeping, coiling the tension of a verse to make every chorus feel phenomenally cathartic even without any words.

At this point in the year, you'd think a saxophone solo would have lost all the novelty it had accumulated over decades of disuse, yet when one pops up at the end of "Midnight City", it triumphantly squires the track out at the highest point possible. After a streak of staccato guitar chords and splashy cymbal hits rev up "Reunion", the shouts from its chorus could come from a soccer stadium or a speedboat chase. "Intro" is typical of Gonzalez's love for zero-gravity arrangements of massed choirs and cathedral reverb, but there's nothing buzzy or clouded about it-- as high as he takes things, you can still see everything underneath in crisp, butterflies-inducing depth and detail.

And then there's "Steve McQueen", which somehow makes the preceding hour of music feel like its prelude. Point blank, it's as close as most of us will get to being strapped inside a space shuttle, as midway through an almost unbearably tensile verse, you don't hear drums so much as afterburners kicking in. By the chorus, it simply cannot go further up, and it explodes at the perfect moment into hair-metal guitar chords and synth-led skywriting. And yet, because it's almost impossible to say what "Steve McQueen" is about (certainly not the actor), it's capable of glorifying anything you choose-- a slow motion shot of Kirk Gibson rounding the bases in the 1988 World Series, a holiday fireworks display, or getting into your car and simply celebrating the end of an exhausting day.

Is it a lot to handle? Of course, and those who have yet to connect with M83 may wonder if the sort of incapacitating longing expressed by "Wait" can possibly be experienced by anyone over the age of 16 or whether they'll ever be able to afford the stereo equipment seemingly required for its intended effect. But remember, it's called Hurry Up, We're Dreaming: It doesn't attempt to be a comprehensive or even realistic purview of the human experience, and lord knows there's plenty out there that's meant to capture small moments.

It's easy to mistrust something so irrepressibly optimistic about the affective possibilities of music and to attribute these feelings to the domain of some "other," whether it's the 1980s, teenhood, or a pop product. Does it share some sort of commonality with "Born This Way" or "Firework", or any other entry from 2011's chart music that attempts to convince you of your own superstardom? Surely, but Gonzalez never comes off like he's selling a brand, a lifestyle, or even himself-- his lyrics remain as opaque as ever. Hurry Up instead serves as a framework to realize the marvelous capability of our dreams and daily lives, should we be open to experiencing it."

Austinist

"The resurgence of the synth-pop movement might just be encapsulated by M83's sixth album, Hurry Up We're Dreaming!, in twenty-two songs split evenly across two discs. The epic "Intro" song gives the listener direct cues for what's in store. Tantalizing and ever-evolving, it leads to "Midnight City", which serves as the first single off the album. With a catchy, squeaky hook, the song continues the journey with an immediate dance loop. A remixes EP of the song is already available, and you can listen to all the iterations here.

Aptly named, the album certainly plays off the dreaming imagery, continuing in the strains of previous albums but with more at stake. Led by French musician Anthony Gonzalez, M83 has added new instruments to the arsenal for Hurry Up, including acoustic guitar. This injects a down to earth feel into songs such as "Soon, My Friend", the last on the first disc. Interspersing spoken word into quieter moments, the sixth track "Raconte-Moi Une Histoire" (translated to "Story Teller", or literally "Tells Me A Story") embodies this with a tale told by a young girl about a magic frog changing your world - "blue becomes red and red becomes blue... everything looks like a giant cupcake and you can't stop laughing" - about which you can make your own, possibly drug-related conclusions.

The next track, "Train To Pluton", starts with appropriate soothing sound effects, then blends with moving notes and atmospheric crescendo notes in a short 1:15 time span. This linking of songs through intermediate tracks is commonplace on Hurry Up and serves the greater purpose of creating a holistic experience throughout the varying dynamics of each individual piece.

The second disc opens on an even more grandiose scale with "My Tears are Becoming a Sea," building tension and leading into the driving, upbeat track "New Map". Taking it down a couple notches for "Splendor", extended piano chords mix with acoustic guitar and a chorus of voices for a gorgeous blend of tonalities. Ending it all with "Outro" brings symmetrical closure to almost eighty minutes of music from M83. A breathing low tone mutates into a swaying ode that finally morphs into simple piano notes tied up with a perfect final chord."
      Last edited by BlueStar; October 17th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.

Graphics/Design/profiles Support
      is Quiet

I am:
      Crazy

Milkyway, Helios, Giya, North America, USA, Iowa, CR
      Blog Entries

Tyvm BlueStar for sharing this release.
      Fortunately I had to stream the Album as the videos are blocked here in the US.
      Psy really got into the sixth track, dancing throughout it.
      I will not say who came to mind while I listened as it is very creative in it's own right.
      It certainly has an epic quality to it. And the last two tracks were for myself haunting.
      Very well done to the artist.
      To dream in sound...

Growth Through Adversity

is curious.

I am:
      Piratey

Thank you for sharing this. The videos are unavailable to me, but I listened to the whole recording and enjoyed it immensely.
      Repeat listenings are in my future.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Glad you enjoyed it guys It definitely rewards repeat listenings as it seems to get more and more addictive. Definitely a breath of fresh musical air, with an inventiveness and nostalgic charm I really love. Even the wackier moments, like the track where a little girl recites a story about a magic frog, which I initially thought might be a candidate for skipping, are really delightful and heartwarming.
      Last edited by BlueStar; December 7th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Great live performance on BBC Radio's Lauren Laverne show!! I hope this link will work outside the UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ne_02_12_2011/ Skip to around 1:41:10 for the interview and 1:44:15 for the performance, there's another rather Pink Floyd-esque instrumental a little bit after that too
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”
      "The most beautiful and thought-provoking book I have ever read."

is Living in my now

I am:
      Meh

Blog Entries

hi ..and thanx for this xxx

" BE PRESENT "

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

You're welcome Rana! Enjoy xx
      Check out ELADRIA ~ an epic, highly acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi/metaphysical novel!
      "The meaning of human existence is explored in this beautiful, richly and intensely woven tale. The author takes us on the journey of a lifetime.”

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

Midnight City video - the old link seems to be dead

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I didn't know them... now I'm in love with their music... thanx for this awesome recomendation, very appreciated
      Nothing to say... silence is just beautiful

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

Thanks Blue star for posting this. I was unaware of them but have become a fan. I found this remix track by Trentemoller. I like his remixes.

What you allow, is what will continue

is emotionally drained

I am:
      Bemused

I also want to add that I actually had heard midnight city before in a victoria secret commercial recently and liked the song, but didn't know who they where until now. Thanks Rory!
      What you allow, is what will continue

Forum Moderator
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Blog Entries

You're most welcome guys, I love being able to share and promote good music that maybe isn't that well known mainstream

Thanks for sharing the remix John! I initially didn't feel the remixes quite lived up the original but that one is quite a good take, a slightly more chilled vibe.